Thursday, January 18, 2007

Some people just don't give up

As an experiment, I tried rolling 'spamnation.info' over to a new location today.

The botnet that has been assigned to DDoS the site is obviously still locked on target, because the host is getting massively hit and the site is effectively unreachable.

This is a setback, but probably not a permanent one. There are always alternatives.

Incidentally, it occurs to me that this would be a great way to map a botnet. If there are any ISPs out there who'd like to know which of their customer machines are compromised, I can give them a pretty good list. telia.com and wanadoo.nl, are you listening?

And if the botnet operator running the attack is reading this, like the man says in the song:

Send a message to your masters,
Tell them "Nothing's over yet."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you can change your dns-settings
point your A-record to 127.0.0.1
(so that if i surf to your domain i get the test-pages of the server on my pc)

after that, move your server to another host so your ip-changes also, or let it change by your current host. (and let him log any access to the old ip-address for claims later on. ;-)

so any botnet-client which attacks after a dns-query is attacking himself.
(after they see that your site can't be reached by it's ip they do a fresh dns-query ...)

a good way to let a botnet-master take down his own botnet :-) without any risk to you because his clients are attacking themself.
(if you know the ip of his controlling server point it to that ip :-) )
fight them with their own tools >:-)

spamnation said...

I confess, it occurred to me that so long as I can control the DNS for spamnation.info, I could direct the denial-of-service attack pretty much wherever I want. Which would make this a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to spank my least favorite spammers off the net, harass repressive governments, or otherwise cause mischief and merriment.

But we don't do that kind of thing, because we are the Good Guys.

Of course that doesn't stop me getting a lot of amusement out of thinking about it.